Friday, May 15

Key Ballah

If God gives me privilege of giving birth to aughter,
I hope to teach her about resilience through Hajar and she ran seven times between those months.
Telling her stories about Aasiyah's faith and A'isha's love an Maryam's strength.
I want to tell her about Mother Khaija who lives inside us as an example of our own desire for success in this life and the next.
I want her to know the stories of her own grandmother an great-grandmother-
women who worked until their hands were raw and bleeding, women who never got a chance to see the sun, women who shook the earth when they spoke,
women who love and lost and split and spilled.
I want her to look at herself and see all of the women who have come together to make her.
All the overtime shifts and midnight prayers to a God who is the best planners.
I want her to know about all of the tears and brittle bones, all of the blood and hours spent in prostration.
I want her to look in the mirror and see how the funny word 'woman hangs off of her'